Business & Data Analytics Certificate ($99 total cost)
Offered in partnership with Cañada College, Pathstream, Silicon Valley Bank, and Tableau, this partner-supported program is offered at a heavily subsidized rate to participants and consists of a series of 4 courses: Business Analytics Fundamentals, SQL for Analytics I, Data Visualization with Tableau, and Statistics for Analytics. Each course will run for six weeks, with a one-week break in between.
Taught by expert instructor Larry Samuelson, these four courses are delivered in an online only format. The classes will meet online via Zoom on the following Saturday mornings from 9-11am
- Course 1: Business Analytics Fundamentals
- Explain the role and value of business analytics and how it impacts business insights and decision-making.
- Apply spreadsheet formulas to process and manipulate data for various analyses.
- Analyze data using spreadsheet formulas to produce and interpret business insights.
- Course 2: SQL for Analytics I
- Identify the role and value of relational databases as they apply to data manipulation.
- Apply the Structured Query Language (SQL) in MySQL for data manipulation language (DML).
- Apply the Structured Query Language (SQL) in MySQL for data definition language (DDL).
- Course 3: Data Visualization with Tableau
- Identify the key techniques and theory used in data visualization.
- Create and design visualizations and dashboards using data.
- Communicate insight through data visualization to an intended audience.
- Course 4: Statistics for Analytics
- Execute statistical analyses with analytics software.
- Select and apply appropriate statistical methods to various data analysis problems/challenges.
- Summarize and report quantitative results to and intended audience.
Technical Requirements & Specs
- A computer running a compatible web browser (see below)
- Stable Internet connection (content is not available offline)
- Speakers/headphones, microphone, and web-camera to hear audio from a computer (videos have subtitles as an alternative)Supported Operating Systems
- Lessons can be completed on any desktop computer, smart phone, or tablet
- Labs and projects must be completed on a Microsoft Windows or Apple MacOS desktop computer; use of Chromebooks not supported
- Select lessons require downloading the Pathstream desktop app (instructions are provided on those lab pages) and thus Chrome OS (Chromebooks) are not supported
- Students will also need to ensure they have permission to download an app to the computer (e.g., if using a loaner or shared computer such as in a library)Supported Web Browsers
Pathstream content is accessible using a variety of Web browsers. The following recommended browsers are available for download at no cost:
- Google Chrome: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95346?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en
- Firefox: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/
- Performance will be suboptimal on Internet Explorer; Windows users should download Chrome or use Microsoft Edge (included in Windows 10)
Certificate Achievement Requirements:
Students must complete all assigned projects and maintain a B average (80%) to be eligible to receive the Business and Data Analytics Certification at the end of the course.
Math Self-Assessment for the Tableau Business and Data Analytics Certificate